2-weeks course: National Management of Petroleum Resources
The course is a combination of expert lectures and team practices. The team practices are designed to engage participants in analysis and discussion of issues covered by the lectures. Social and sightseeing events will also be offered.
The course features lecturers who represent vast experience in the petroleum sector and its public management (click here for more information).
Course objectives and topics
The course will expand and deepen the participants’ insights in decision processes and governance involving interactions between governments and companies in the petroleum sector, notably the following:
- Policy, legal and institutional framework for the nation’s management of its petroleum resources;
- The licensing process and preparations for it;
- The fiscal system: Design considerations, implementation and monitoring;
- Environmental management of petroleum operations;
- Exploration strategies for companies and for national authorities;
- Field development planning and concept selection;
- Execution and monitoring of complex development projects;
- Safe and effective production operations;
- Managing reservoirs and installations for optimal recovery;
- Unitization and strategic infrastructure development;
- Natural gas developments and marketing;
- Management of petroleum revenues;
- The role and governance of national oil companies;
- Supplier industries and local content;
- The international petroleum industry and its current challenges;
- The global climate issue and international responses.
The learning experience
Lectures will be provided by expert professionals who bring a wealth of experience from Norwegian and international petroleum sector management, and insights based on research. There will be practices for participants working in small multi-discipline teams. As this course is intended for participants having significant experience from the sector, discussions and shared insights will be a key component of the course. There will be excursions in the region, which features many petroleum related businesses.
A communication group on social media will be set up to facilitate communication between participants during and after the course. Petrad will stimulate continued learning and sharing of experience with and between participants after the course.